The major funding for developmental works in Sundarbans comes from Government of India through various Centrally Sponsored / Central Sector Schemes like:
- Conservation and Management of Sunderban Mangroves in West Bengal.
- Conservation and Management of Sunderbans Biosphere Reserve in West Bengal.
- CSS Project Tiger from National Tiger Conservation Authority.
- Conservation and Management of Sundarban Wetland in West Bengal.
- A small grant UNDP Project on "Strengthening Sustainable Livelihood for Biodiversity Conservation in Indian Sundarbans".
In addition to above, a small Fund is also allocated under State Plan Schemes like Mangrove Treatment, Economic Rehabilitation of Fringe Population, Wildlife and Biodiversity, Coastal Shelterbelt Plantation, Forest Protection, Other Allied Works Component, Buildings, Nature Conservation Protection and Improvement of Wildlife, Development of Forest Communications, Forestry Treatment, Community Development, Plantation of Quick Growing Species, Strip Plantation / Farm Forestry, Control of Poaching and Illegal Trade etc.
Apart from all these Central Sector Schemes and State Plan a scheme, National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS) is being implemented in the Divisions of Sunderbans Biosphere Reserve and the funding for the same is done by District Magistrate’s fund.